POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Oct 2009 11:05:17
Message: <4adf232d$1@news.povray.org>
> I had a friend who was working on a master's in Comp Sci in oh, about 1982.
> His professor gave him this thesis project:
>
> Write a Pascal compiler.
>
> In Pascal.
>
> I can still hear in my mind the screams coming from late at night from
> friend's apartment. He was NOT a happy camper for those two years. :D

Wee... I should have just grabbed a copy of Borland TurboPascal. It was
written in TurboPascal! ;-)

I once had a go at writing a Pascal interpretter in BASIC. (Because I
didn't have access to any computer that actually had a Pascal compiler
or interpretter.) Of course, not knowing anything about computer science
[because I was 11], I attempted to construct a program to edit,
tokenise, parse, type-check and execute the Pascal source code all at
once. This inevitably resulted in rapid and complete failure.

Today I understand that the correct thing to do would be to build a text
editor, *then* try to make a compiler/interpretter. And have this thing
process the souce code in several seperate stages, not all at once.

Basically I was trying to tackle a problem having no idea where to start
or how to structure it.

I was only 11, after all...